Pavan

Pavan

Thursday 25 April 2013

To Share This or Not To Share...

So I have had this post on my mind for a while and I just couldn't decide if I should share it on my blog or not because it is seriously embarrassing. But as I have shared it with a few people I am close with I have learned I was not alone! So since it is quite a funny story (to me anyways) I thought I wanted it documented. It is quite a long story I apologize!

So It was a regular Tuesday afternoon at work. We had just had our free lunch provided from the drug rep which was some noodles and chicken. It was good but I wasn't super hungry so I only ha a tiny bit and after my phone call with my mom it was back to work for the afternoon. It wasn't even 1:30 and I suddenly felt the urge to go to the washroom. So thinking nothing I cruised on back to the staff bathroom to find myself a little "stuck" as you might call it. I didn't have a stomach ache or anything but when i would sit down on the toilet I felt the urge to push! haha but nothing would come. It was really painful and I had no idea what was up because I had felt perfect all day. So after a half hour of pushing and sweating and texting a coworker to cover my desk I finally ventured back to my desk sat down and felt fine again. The afternoon was relatively slow for a Tuesday but 4:00 came quite quickly and before I knew it i was due for another potty break. Still feeling fine and no stomach ache I braved the bathroom again. This go around was much worse. The pushing just happened and I could not control it. I was thinking "what is wrong with me, I don't feel sick or have a stomach ache at all and I have always been so regular!" But as the minutes dragged on and the sweat was dripping off my naked body as I paced the staff washroom, I looked in the mirror to see a ghostly reflection. Wow was I white. Whiter than I have ever been but i wasn't surprised as I had been in so much pain that I had already been on the verge of puking. So after another half hour battle I walked out of the bathroom and told my coworker Kristen that I think I needed to go home and as soon as she saw me she told me to leave right away. Which probably wasn't the smartest time for me to be driving when I was in such a rough condition. I got in my car though and texted Andin and said I was going home early as I didn't feel well and I knew he would be home after 5 so I wasn't too worried and I got home and laid down. I was back to feeling a lot better but so confused what was happening to me. (Yes as I explain it it does seem very obvious what was wrong I know) I then slept for a few hours as Andin sat beside me on the couch.

It was about 8:00 when I woke up and boom had to pee again of course! I looked at Andin with total fear in my eyes and said I don't want to go to the bathroom I am so scared because I have no control over anything as soon as I sit on the toilet and when the pushing starts it is such awful pain I could puke. He didn't really understand why I was so scared because since he had seen me I was almost normal. So I got in the bathroom after I gained the courage and closed the door behind me (you should know i usually either leave the door opened or unlocked this time I just closed it though because I knew how scared Andin might be witnessing what I was going through.) So I sat down and instantly the spasms and pushing started this time ever worse than the last. I had stripped down into nothing but my G top in like 2 mins and was screaming in pain and didn't know what was happening. I was on the verge of puking again when I decided I am going to try and stand and walk to stop the spasms, but the second I stood up BOOM I fainted. Next thing I knew Andin was kneeling over me saying Kenzie what the heck is wrong with you and all I could say was I am in so much pain. He was like gee Kenzie I didn't realize you were so bad we need to get you to the hospital. But as I crawled to the carpet to lay down Andin was like Kenzie get up or back in the bathroom your gonna get poop on the carpet. I was so delusional I asked him to wipe for me. (Now that is trust when you can ask that) But he declined and said no chance (isn't he so nice-although I probably would have said no if he asked me to do that). My first request was to call my mom and so after Andin passed me the phone and I gave my mom the 411 she was going to call the Raymond Hospital and have the Dr on call there for when I arrived because it is much faster in Raymond than Lethbridge. So me and Andin got all ready to head out there and met my mom at the hospital. The drive was brutal as I was so sore from hitting my shoulder and elbow on the sink and wall when I fainted but I was happy to arrive and see no line up. 

They put me back in an exam room and I began explaining what was going on with me to the nurse. She asked if I had experienced any bloating or stomach aches at all. I said no and that the discomfort was only when I went to the washroom. So after writing a bunch on her clipboard Dr Steed came and and began to assess me. He seemed very worried as he read my chart and felt my stomach and everything that maybe I had a cyst in my colon that was causing these rectal spasms. This made me nervous that he didn't even know what was wrong with me so he decided to do a rectal exam on me. Yep definitely not flattering and very uncomfortable and painful. And after feeling around he was more puzzled than before he said ya there is stool in there but not a lot that I can tell. So he sent me home with some suppossatories  and told me to use these tonight and in the morning  and come back early if I had a bad night or in the afternoon if I was still the same. So i ventured back to my parents and as Andin ate some Salmon (I still hadn't eaten since the tiny plate of chicken and noodles and it was now at least 10:30 pm) I laid on the floor and got extremely nervous. Was something wrong with me that was serious? So after putting the suppository in I decided it was time to try and get some rest. It was one of the worst nights ever. I was up every half hour with spasms I couldn't control. So finally at 9:00 I got up and went to talk to my mom. I laid there and decided I would just battle until the afternoon to go back. After a few minutes chatting with my mom she told me it was time to try and go to the bathroom again so after a minor panic attack I decided to try again. My body was so tight that I couldn't even get myself to go pee. This made my mom really nervous and so after she talked to my dad we decided it was up to hospital we went. So I woke Andin up and said hey we need to go back in so just the two of us went in this time and saw Dr Tollestrup. He pulled up my chart again and reviewed it with me and I updated him on everything. He thought ok this is strange but we are going to give you a water enema to see if that helps so the nurse will do that and hold it in for 15 mins then go to the bathroom. I was terrified. So the nurse comes in and flushed me full of water. It gave me an instant stomach ache. And I rolled over into fetal position and tried to keep it in. But I wan't having much success. So after 4-6 short mins I was waddling to the bathroom. As I sat down I understood why they wanted me to hold it in longer because the longer it is in the smaller the blockage was. I sat down and finally peed and the pushing happened right away and it was still awful but boom then the blockage was coming. Ugh that was painful was all I could think as Andin knocked on the bathroom door. Now another awkward thing was I had to wipe and put toilet paper in the garbage. That is not pleasant and then a nurse had to come in to look. AWKWARD! I was so relieved it wasn't anyone I knew! I was instantly feeling much better besides being still and sore so I went back to my parents and rested.

 It was a roller coaster 15 hours and I was so happy for it to be over. I was so relieved it was just a "blockage" causing this and nothing long term. It is crazy how fast you can take for granted being healthy and happy with everything we already have. Especially with bombs at Marathons, fires and other catastrophes that have other people not just becoming injured or sick but causing families to lose a parent or a child. I now realize how lucky I am and plan to never take for granted being able to walk and run by myself. I just thought this was a funny and embarrassing story that I never wanted didn't forget. Thanks Andin and my parents for sticking it out with me! 

Love,
Kenz

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers